Our trip....
We started out in Mtn. View were on Sunday evening, we had a surprise graduation party for Cindi. Only family was there, but she was grateful to have a party. Sorry, the pic wouldn't load up.
Monday we drove to Memphis so we could catch our early morning flight on Tues. to NYC. Jessica and Cindi has never let us forget our promise to them some 5 or 6 years ago. We landed at a small county airport just north of the city that cost about $80 less to fly into.
The girls had a lot of first. Their first city bus ride, first train ride into the city and first taxi ride ever, and it was in NYC. That took us to our hotel just south of central park. That night, we went out to time square. It's amazing at night time and it looks totally different during the day.
The next day, the girls spent nearly a full day shopping for souvenirs and hitting 34th street with all the reasonable shopping stores. They found some great deals. Later that day, we bought our Broadway tickets and off to a show that night.
Thursday and Friday, I'm not sure what happened. I know we did a LOT of walking every day. Thursday night, we were so tired, we retired from the city before 7pm and Friday, we were so tired, we slept in. One of those days was a ground zero day. We went into the museum they have now and looked at some amazing things, read some very sad stories, and looked at photos of those who were murdered. I couldn't keep a dry eye. It was very sad remembering that day.
Saturday, we went to the Empire State Building, the Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island. At the Statue, Rob started talking with an employee and she had quiet the little twinkle in her eye. I say she thought my bald headed husband was something, and she left. Rob lingered around and I told the girls, he's up to something. She finally came back and handed him 4 tickets to the museum in the base of the statue and we were able to go up the statue just below her feet to a viewing point. It was really neat and nice of a New Yorker to such a good deed. That evening on the way to the hotel, we did a bit more shopping and then ended our night with a horrible off Broadway show that was suppose to be a Christian boy band making fun of the worldly boy bands... so we were told. Not the case, it's embarrassing just to mention that we went there. Never go to see the "Altar Boyz." We walked out. Let's just say, I suppose it was "Christian based" in New York's eyes.
Over all, we had a good time and was amazed at all the people in NYC walking around. It's good to be back in our small town, even if our small town in OKC is over a million. I prefer it even smaller.
Here's a few pics...
Us at the Empire State building. Dark, I know, and I could not edit it for some reason.Jess' bed.
Military cots that's as hard as the floor. I took the love seat. The room was full, no walking space.I forgot to add our flying home experience. Another first for us. Sleeping in the airport. We got to Chicago just after 5 pm and our next flight was close to 8:30 pm. We did some shopping in the airport and made our way over to our next terminal. There, we saw that our flight was delayed to 10:30 pm. Knowing that we had more than 4 hours to be at our gate, we decided to go to the USO (military support lounge) there close to our gate to have free food, a TV and Internet. Close to 9:15 pm, I told Rob that he should double check our time to make sure nothing else has changed, so he headed down to look at the monitors. He didn't see our flight on the screen! So back he came, called about our flight and they departed at 9:10! No other flights were leaving, so we had to stay in the USO overnight. I was so thankful, since I sometimes need a midnight snack, and that night, I did. It wasn't the most comfortable, but we had a good laugh out of it all. We finally made it back as you can see.
That's all for now. Take care!




5 comments:
Sounds like you had a great time, albeit tiring. I'll have to head over to facebook and see the rest.
Sounds like you had fun. But boy does it make me tired just reading about all the walking. I also like you 5 month pic. You look great.
The picture of you is real cute.
You look good.
Sounds like a fun time. Sorry you had to spend the night in the airport. Memories.... There fun to make :o)
The picture of you is real cute.
You look good.
Sounds like a fun time. Sorry you had to spend the night in the airport. Memories.... There fun to make :o)
How exciting! I've ALWAYS wanted to go to New York and see and do everything you guys just did. :-) So I'm happy for you and jealous of you all in one! Ha!
And everybody's right--you look GREAT!
Post a Comment